Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Creativity and New Media

Since I'm always trying to incorporate music into my classes, I went in that direction for this assignment. I wanted to use the music website known as SoundCloud.com to upload my own recordings from the Apple program known as Garage Band.

A little information on both before I go ahead and post what I was able to do:

SoundCloud: SoundCloud is a type of music social networking site where users can upload their own original music and share it with others. You can create playlists, follow other users, and if you allow them, they can download your song(s). You can have a list of your own favorites made up of your favorite songs from other users on the site, and everything can sync with Facebook - so you can have your SoundCloud playlist right there on your Facebook page. I think it's going to be a huge innovation in the way music is heard, and in my opinion it is most definitely an example of how new media fosters creativity. Before, you had to pay someone to distribute your tracks, and now you can essentially market yourself (SoundCloud is a free service!)

GarageBand: GarageBand comes with every Mac that Apple sells, and it is basically a miniature recording studio on a laptop. You can record anything straight from your computer, and it supplies loops and effects if you wanted to use them. I have recently discovered that I am not incredibly good at using GarageBand, but I know some of my friends who are in bands and have used it to create entire albums. I think the combination of GarageBand and Soundcloud is huge, because you don't need to have thousands of dollars to have a truckload of talent and good music, but it used to be that you needed the money for recording studio sessions and marketing. Now, when used correctly, you can share your creations with the world right from your computer.

I enlisted my friend Jaimie for help with this project, she has a really excellent voice. I'm not much of a songwriter but I love playing piano covers of popular music. Since her parent's anniversary was coming up, we recorded 4 songs, two with both vocals and piano accompaniment, one an instrumental, and the last was an a cappella.

It worked out in the end for both of us, Jaim was able to give her parents a great gift on the budget of a broke college student, and I was able to explore the possibilities new media brings to music, as well as hopefully get credit for this assignment.

Here are the tracks, please be kind, it probably could've came out a lot better, it's my first time with GarageBand!

1. Your Song Piano Instrumental (Elton John Cover)
2. On My Own Vocal with Accompaniment (Les Miserables Cover)
3. Amazing Grace A Cappella
4. Only Hope Vocal with Accompaniment (A Walk To Remember Soundtrack)

Hope you enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. you guys were awesome. I wish i were more musically inclined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you guys sound like professional. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soundcloud seems interesting especially for those who's into music, I will definitely try it out some time.

    ReplyDelete