Thursday, March 17, 2011

Social Networking Sites

Facebook: By far my favorite of the social networking options right now. It's got everything, you can connect with friends and family and even use it to promote a business that you work for. You can create events for upcoming moments in your life and your guest list is automatically provided (saving you tons of money on car insurance!...I mean...invitations.) You can share links easily with your friends, and not only that, third party websites are making themselves Facebook compatible, supplying visitors with a "Like" button if they enjoy the content. Facebook is the full package, it's got the personal aspect as well as provides a plethora of new technology opportunities for businesses to expand.

Myspace: Voted least favorite. I feel as though Myspace is relatively dead. I log-in to mine about one a...year...maybe? The layout is incredibly confusing, and I feel as though it's trying way too hard to be a copy-cat Facebook. The only possible advantage I can think that Myspace has is it's ability to be a music website. Think of artists such as Colbie Callait, who were discovered based on their Myspace pages. Facebook does not allow a universal playlist platform in the way that Myspace does.

Twitter: This site was most definitely in the running for my least favorite, but even I can't deny the advantages it presents. Businesses, celebrities and prominent figures in society are now presented with the opportunities to reach out to their followers (quite literally) in a more personal way then ever before. However, I feel as though the advantages of Twitter only apply to people who are already famous or have a significant place in this world. I don't think that it's incredibly useful on a personal level, I can find out what my friends and family are up to from their Facebook statuses. On the other hand, I also feel that Twitter is still relatively new and I'm curious to see how it expands as it becomes more popular.

Tumblr: For those who love blogging. Tumblr is a blog that allows you to connect with other bloggers, but also share their thoughts and ideas via your blog, create a possibly endless connection. Tumblr offers that creativity that we all loved about Myspace layouts, while providing the updates reminiscent of Twitter. You can constantly see what others are posting, and then post it yourself, which reminds me of the Twitter "retweet". Not the most popular form of social networking, but I am excited to see how it grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment